She's officially 5 and starting Kindergarden. He's a lover and a fighter.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Daddy Lesson 101 - aka "Take me out to the Ballgame"

I think that I knew this would happen sooner or later. Missing out on something I want to see because the baby prevents it. Leaving something early... like a movie or something. But at six weeks old, Riley already got me.

Let me bring you up to speed. Yesterday, I got tix to go to the Royals/Indians game. Me, being an Indians fan, was geared up to see the Tribe, one of the hotter teams in MLB take on the crappiest team in Royals history. It was a hot August day, and we had to be careful about keeping her cool, but eventually it was almost bearable to be outside.

The Indians were hitting the ball, but not scoring any runs. The Royals, with their 10 game losing streak, put up 7 runs to the Tribe's 1. I'm sitting in the crowd, with my Chief Wahoo hat, and the Indians can't score any of the guys they get on base. Remember, I'm the loud guy who goes to a game wearing the other teams colors. I'm that one loud Indians fan.

Around the 6th inning, Riley got fussy. Now, I'm enjoying the game and the atmosphere, but the Indians are losing. So we wait for Riley's first 7th inning stretch, sing "Take me out to the ballgame" and leave. We pick up a certificate that honors RJ's first Royals game and hit the road. We listen to the radio a bit on the way home and shut off the game going into the top of the 9th inning, Indians trailing 7-2.

I always stay for the whole game. You never know what you're going to miss. Always. I stay to the end of Husker games that are 62-14 blowouts. I stay to the end of Royals games where they're trailing 8-1. You always, ALWAYS, stay to the end of the game. Unless you have a 6 week old baby.

Let me just come out and say what happened after we a) left the game and b) turned off the radio.

The Indians won the game.

Rather, the Royals lost the game. The Tribe scored 11 runs, ELEVEN RUNS!, in the top of the 9th inning with the help of 3 Royals errors. And I was miles away from the ballpark. My moment to shine as a Tribe fan, faithfully staying to the end of the game, cheering for the Indians, and my baby got fussy and we left midway-through the 7th.

The Tribe scoring 11 in the ninth may have even topped the time 2 years ago when I yelled to Tony Pena, "Why are you walking Ben Broussard to load the bases to get to Casey Blake? Broussard sucks!" Casey Blake then hit a grand slam. I stood and clapped for Tony Pena's managing prowess.

11 runs in the top of the 9th. Royals lose, Royals lose, theeeeeeeeeeeeee Royals lose.

I love you Riley, but you killed a bit of your father last night. I can't wait till you're older, and we go to the ballpark, just Daddy and daughter, and I have to explain why you always...ALWAYS stay to the end of a game.

3 Comments:

  • I know the feeling, Brian. Brother, I havent seen a movie in a theater in its entirety in 5 years. Now, Ian was raised more or less in a theater, as Kolette was an asst. mgr. He also went to class with one or the other of us at Dana sometimes. The other two, because of my being stationed elsewhere (Kol didnt work) or because of my work schedule), havent had the opportunity to be in public very much and so get fussy in theaters, don't know how to sit still for more than 20-30 minutes, etc. Sometimes we'll go to an afternoon show ( bennie of Kol working at the largest theater in Lincoln) and there are few people or none, and Briallen just moves from seat to seat in the aisle we are in. More often than not, one of the other of us takes her to the lobby so as not to disturb other patrons. *sigh* One of these days ill get to see a horror movie, war movie, etc, that doesnt involve cartoons, Small claymation construction contractors, or Japanese action figures. Hang in there, its only a few more years.....

    By Blogger Cedric Satterfield, at 11:18 AM  

  • Fool! You gave up more of what you think you enjoy the day RJ was born than you did the day you said "I do." Just accept the fact that anything you considered a "social life" is out the window until she gets older, assuming you don't create another. I've accepted that I may never get to golf again. He has survived a O Royals game, but it will be years, I mean years, before he will be able to handle a movie theatre. Who knows what the next spawn will be like.
    I'm sorry about the "I do" thing. After all, Brian gave up activities he loved long before that.
    Rog

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:58 PM  

  • Da Royals RULE!!!! Yeah, yeah I know, I owe you a bottle of Bombay Sapire....drat....-Davy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home