She's officially 5 and starting Kindergarden. He's a lover and a fighter.

Monday, December 03, 2007

I think strange things about children's shows.

I’ve been meaning to blog this, but I’ve been rather busy. A few thoughts passed through my head while watching My Friends Tigger and Pooh with Riley over Thanksgiving. Has anybody ever given any thought to the psychological challenges that the characters in the 100 Acre woods face? Let’s consider:

Winnie the Pooh



Upon first glance, it’s obvious that Pooh suffers from an addiction to Honey. He has pots and pots of the stuff stashed all over his place. He’s frequently abandoning his friends so that he can dip his paw into the golden stuff. Where does he get all this honey? (more on this later.)

And the more I think about it, I think Winnie the Pooh might be a little retarded.

Tigger

Again, this one seems fairly easy. Tigger is ADHD. He’s always bouncing all over and perpetually cheerful. But, why is Tigger so happy? Is the T.I. – Double Guh-ER overcompensating to cover some deep dark secret or childhood trauma?

Piglet

I feel sorry for Piglet. He’s paranoid and scared of everything. He’s practically a shutin. What is the source of his fear? Maybe he’s afraid Tigger will pounce on him?

Rabbit

I rather identify with Rabbit. He’s clearly Obsessive Compulsive. He’s got to have everything in order, and his garden must remain impeccable. Plus, Rabbit is prone to fits of anger and rage. One would think the gardening would allow him to find some calm, but it just serves up more stress and anger. I like Rabbit.

Eeyore

Wow, all of these are really easy to diagnose. Everybody knows Eeyore is clinically depressed. His tail is tacked on with a nail. Does it hurt Eeyore? Maybe he takes the pain of his tail so that he feels any emotions at all.

Kanga and Roo

Kanga and Roo appear to be the only normal, healthy family. But where is Roo’s father?

Christopher Robin/Darby

In the original tales, the 100 Acre Woods were visited by a young boy named Christopher Robin. In the latest incarnation, it’s a young girl named Darby, who together with Tigger and Pooh form the Super Sleuths.

Where are these kid’s parents? Who let’s them roam around the woods all day long without a care in the world? And why are these two kid’s only friends stuffed animals that live out in the wild?

Perhaps CR and Darby are supplying Pooh with his Honey.
and P.S. What is Pooh doing on Christopher Robin's lap?



Anyhow, these are the things I think about. Someday I’ll tell the story about how I’m trying to do the math in regards to Rocket’s flight speed while trying to catch a falling pot of Rocket Soup out of the sky that falls for 90 seconds.

This means that, ignoring air resistance, an object falling freely near the earth's surface increases its velocity with 9.8 m/s (32 ft/s or 22 mi/h) for each second of its descent. Thus, an object starting from rest will attain a velocity of 9.8 m/s (32 ft/s) after one second, 19.6 m/s (64 ft/s) after two seconds, and so on, adding 9.8 m/s to each resulting velocity.

So if Rocket soup falls for 90 seconds… Ah the math is too much.


(What the heck is wrong with me?)








4 Comments:

  • So I was thinking... this would be a good idea for a film if you ever get the chance.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:29 PM  

  • I'm just trying to figure out where you're coming up with this kind of free time...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 PM  

  • Came across your blog while looking for pictures of the Little Einsteins "gang" to make t-shirts for my 2 & 3 year old. This was so funny! I totally understand where you are coming from with
    your observation...I've thought these things myself. I blog when my toddlers let me "push the buttons" by myself. Come by sometime!

    Lee

    By Blogger Lee, at 8:34 AM  

  • i was thinking the same thing a while back about the characters. it is definitely a play on american society.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home